In late 1957 three deacons began to sense the need for starting a new church in the Stop Six community in Fort Worth, TX. They met in a small house on South Edgewood Terrace. After much prayer and discussion, this need became a reality. Rev. G. W. Sessions was called as the first Pastor of Mount Moriah Missionary Baptist Church. The church had approximately 25 members. In February 1958 under Rev. Sessions leadership the church moved to a building located at 2026 Danner Street.
In 1964, while still on Danner Street, Rev. Frank Lawson was called to be the second pastor. In October 1971, Rev. Isaiah Taylor was called as the third pastor. By this time the membership had grown to approximately 60 members. Rev. Taylors’ ministry began generations of faithfulness. In September 1977, the building at 2026 Danner was sold to Saint Paul Missionary Baptist Church where Rev. Stewart served as their pastor.
Under Pastor Taylor’s leadership, in 1978, the property at 2601 Village Creek Road was purchased for $20,000. Deacon L.C. Cortez was chairman of the deacons and Deacon Johnny Harris was co-chairman. In May of 1978, an additional lot in the Sunrise Addition was purchased for $1200 to be used as a parking lot. By this time, Deacon Richard Morris was a trustee.
From 1982 to 1998 there were numerous remodeling tasks that were completed, as well as additional land purchased. The church purchased new furniture for the sanctuary in August 1981. The financing contract was signed by Deacon Richard Morris and Sister Jean Harris, the secretary. This debt was paid in full in July 1983. The church also purchased a van in the amount of $1000. The congregation continued to grow physically, spiritually, and financially. In 1988, the church began to consider building a larger facility. These plans never became a reality.
The Sunday School and Vacation Bible School grew tremendously. The church flourished with young minds and hearts. In late 1988, the members decided to remodel the building. Most of the work was completed by the members. New central heat and air units were installed. During Rev. Taylor’s tenure as pastor, the churches finances grew. At a business meeting held on the first Monday night in November 1998, the church voted to accept a contractors’ (LaFane Battles) proposal of $265,000 for a new sanctuary.
This vision of a new sanctuary became a reality. The closing documents were signed by Deacons Willie Spencer, Maurice Battles, and Secretary Sis. Patricia Umblance. The new church was completed in 1999 and the first service was held on the first Sunday in October 1999. The spiritual results from this new beginning created willing minds and hearts as well as working hands.
In 2005, Pastor Taylor made the decision to retire after 37 years of faithful service and leadership, for health reasons. Just as Moses passed on the Staff and the charge of responsibility to Aaron, Pastor Taylor passed the Staff on to Patrick L. Turner. Under Pastor Turner’s leadership, the congregation has continued to grow with many ministries formed. His conviction is that the church is God’s tool for reaching a lost world through the Word of God’s Love and Peace. “The Mount” has a strong spiritual heritage and because of God’s abundant Grace, we have the potential to be able to reach many outside our small community through mass media.
In October of 2007, the 15-year church mortgage was paid off in 8 years. The note burning ceremony was held Sunday, November 18, 2007. In March of 2008, “The Mount” began to look for a larger sanctuary. Trinity Christian Church was being considered. Later plans changed and we began to look at the Ryanwood Baptist Church located at 1401 Meadowlane Terrace in the Meadowbrook area. After several business meetings, an agreement between the two churches was made.
The first unofficial service held at the Ryanwood location was the funeral service of Deacon Willie Spencer, Chairman, on Saturday, January 3, 2009. Another milestone was accomplished when Word Of Faith Deliverance Church(Minister H.E. Peterson, Pastor) signed an agreement to lease our Village Creek property for 1 year on February 28, 2009.
In 2010, the fellowship hall was dedicated in Memory of Sister Lela B. Taylor.
January 31, 2010, Pastor Emeritus Isiah Taylor was called to be with the Lord.
July 17, 2011, a women’s lounge was dedicated in memory of Sister Bobby Lucas.
In 2012, the Verizon cell tower was erected and a beautiful cross adorns its top.
In 2013, the Village Creek sanctuary and property was sold in April and those funds were allocated toward the principal of our current facility.
We look forward to the many blessings that God has in store for us. As we continue to grow, we as the body of Christ, are committed to the loyal and faithful service to God. Being led by His Spirit we will never fail.